Saturday, April 30, 2005

29/04/05 Laurie Anderson

Saw her last night at the Queens Hall. Excellent stuff. Basically just talking over atmospheric, percussive tape loops, punctuated by her playing an electronic violin.
Her voice has a deeply hypnotic, mesmeric quality to it.
All this certainly wouldn't work if she had an irritating voice.
If Jonathon Ross had been the narrator, I'd have left after 5 minutes.
I'd never seen her before, but would heartily recommend her to my readers.
Some great angles on 9/11, beauty and NASA.
The trouble with the Queens Hall is that the temperature is within the realms of a blast furnace, and there are inevitable moments when your concentration lapses as you struggle to avoid nodding off. But overall, a top notch show.
Carrying on my avant garde theme I am following this up tomorrow by going to see Karl Heinz Stockhausen at the same venue.
Looks like we have a 3rd person for the "Park's Circus" Fringe show. An Irish bloke called Patrick Hyland has signed up. We now have an Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman. There's a joke there...!
Well, hopefully at least one over the course of the 70 minutes.
I'm looking forward to it now.
I've decided that we will all rock!
The End.

No comments: