Saturday, April 30, 2005

28/04/05 Tally Ho!

Just caught the tail end of Tony Blair getting harangued by the public "live" on BBC1s "Question Time".
I've never seen him look so uncomfortable. He was getting the usual Iraq, NHS stuff and was sweating profusely and looking ill at ease. Like a hunted animal.
Ironic since he'd recently banned hunting.
It's definitely a feature of UK life that politicians are loathed beyond measure. There is no deference to the position of "Prime Minister". You get the impression that the spitting, snarling mob would love to grab him and rip him apart.
I don't think an elected leader would get such a hard time in any other western country.
In the US, there is a massive opposition to Dubya, but there is always an underlying respect and deference to the actual office of President, regardless of who the current encumbent is.
In some ways our cynicism is a good thing. In other ways I'm not sure if I like it.
We're all very dismissive and sneering of anyone in public office. Admittedly it is often deserved, but personally there's loads of things ole TB has done that I think have merit (I'm not going to bother listing them, out as I don't want to sound like a party political broadcast),
and having lived through the Thatcher years and the Blair years, I know which I prefer.
Well that wasn't very funny was it?
No-one said comedy had to be funny...that's all I've got to say really.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I clearly remember the respect that a one time Stirling student now comedian gave to the then PM - a Mrs Margaret Thatcher.

It works both ways, not just for those that you weakly follow because of their perceived lefty values.

jimbo said...

Totally agree. I wasn't absolving myself from the criticism. I was just remarking on a general UK tradition of rubbishing politicians.

Anonymous said...

Jimbo, just ignore that sad miserable c**t!

Anonymous said...

I just love it when some brave anonymous twat makes radical intellectual comments like that.