Wednesday, April 13, 2005

12/04/05 The name's Bond....Premium Bond

Well yesterday got off to a spectacular start when I discovered I'd won a £500 premium bond....yessssss!!!!!! Just what the order doctored, as I'm not exactly awash with cash at the moment.
"Fans" (guffaw) of my stand-up routine will know that I do a piece about momentarily losing self-control and allowing a pot of Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup to boil, in the full knowledge that it would slightly impair the flavour.
Out of curiosity, I emailed the Campbells web site to ask what exactly happens to the soup which has this negative effect on the flavour. This was their reply.
"With regards to your enquiry, soup should not be boiled as this does indeed impair the quality. The oil and whey powder used in soups forms an emulsion and if the product is overheated, this will split causing tiny 'lumps' to appear. Also, if the starch is overcooked this will lead to a thinner viscosity and you will lose the creamy mouthfeel of the soup."
Well there you have it. It's funny to think that the people at Campbells must have thought what a sad pathetic nerd I am writing in with questions like that, and probably opined amongst themselves that I should seriously look into the possibility of aquiring some kind of "life".
Ha! Little do they know I'm a hip, cool and trendy stand-up comedian, living on the edge, and legitimately trawling around for material. Ha! (again, for comic effect)
I like the phrase "creamy mouthfeel" at the end there. They've answered my question in a fairly matter of fact fashion, but couldn't resist a little marketing soundbite at the end to communicate the unique sensual appeal of their soup products.
Well that's fair enough, I would do the same in their position.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! never met anyone who has won anything. Thought it was an urban myth.