Monday, May 30, 2005

29/05/05 'ee it were grand!

I spent another few hours in my war of attrition against my resident weeds. It's a First World War scenario. I've just got to try and outlast the little bastards.
I caught a bit of "Antiques Roadshow" and was surprised to see somebody with a "WEM Copycat". This is basically an echo unit. I played in several bands in which this was viewed as an essential piece of kit. It gave guitars and vocals a much fuller and less jangly sound. So what the fek was it doing on "Antiques Roadshow"?
Whatever. It made me feel like an old fossil. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I was on at "The Stand" in Edinburgh last night. It was a Bank Holiday Special and was sold out. I really stormed it. Probably my best ever reaction. It should be said though that it was a really good comedy audience who were well up for it.
This probably means that my next gig will be an unmitigated disaster. It's just a sad inevitability that when you're registering particularly highly on the "comedy confidence scale", something will happen which will puncture it.
Then you will be returned to that edgy, nervousness again, which ironically you need to raise the performance level. You see, it's a vicious circle...
I was talking to the Edinburgh bloke who was on the recent edition of "Faking It" in which he went from being a Physics Researcher to Magician, and ended up fooling the experts. He was in the dressing room to see Mandy Muden. She was on the bill as well last night, and she acted as one of Kevin's magic mentors on the programme.
He's doing magic full time now. It's interesting how appearing on that programme has turned his whole life upside down, (in a good way).

No comments: