Tuesday, May 10, 2005

08/05/05 This Sporting Life

Continuing the trend of sporting overkill, I played in a golf competition today, carding a rather disappointing 87.
What with the football yesterday, I walked round the course in the style of The Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz. Such was the quality of my golf, I would probably have scored just as well if I'd used a big axe to hit the ball with.
I was playing with 2 people I hadn't met before, having just signed up on a tee-off sheet.
I didn't really know anything more about them at the end of the match as few words were spoken. I'm usually a bit of a blabber, but there wasn't any rapphort going on there at all. It doesn't really bother me, as sometimes I can't be arsed.
It was as if these 2 guys had reached a point in their lives where they'd stopped recruiting new friends, feeling they'd reached a point where they had a comfortable social circle which didn't require topping up.
So rather than having to plough through the necessary "getting-to-know-you" small talk again, they've decided to pull up their social drawbridges.
But as I say, I didn't really mind as I was knackered anyway.
I was shocked to discover that the poster for my upcoming comedy promotion on THURSDAY 12TH MAY at the ROSEBERY HALL in SOUTH QUEENSFERRY (SHOW STARTS 7.15PM), had been removed from the wall!
Somebody obviously felt it was inappropriate advertising in the clubhouse.
Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise....
Do I really want golfers to come along to the show on Thursday? Am I crazy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim,

How is it that I am not allowed to leave comments yesterday ? Do you fear that you might be having some egg on your face ?

I am sure you cut quite the dash on the golf course - if comedy is the new rock n' roll, then golf is the new West coast gangsta rap, and I think you should be welcoming of your homies at this Queens Ferry.

Fight the Par