Tuesday, May 17, 2005

16/05/05 Something To Crow About

I was playing golf at Duddingston Golf Club with Ralph, Mike and Andy when we witnessed a curious crow-related spectacle.
A big bruiser of a crow was pecking aggressively away at the prone body of a smaller crow in an apparent joint act of murder and cannibalism. Two magpies were excitedly prancing about in the background obviously anticipating sampling some Crow intestines for their tea.
Disturbed by the approach of 4 golfers (as most sentient species would be), the Big Crow and his Magpie backing singers flew off to a nearby tree.
We were then surprised to see the smaller Crow shrug off it's role as the gala banquet of the evening and stand up. It stood there for a couple of minutes with something of a perturbed expression, before flying off. This was all very strange, as it had looked deader than a very dead thing on initial inspection.
We remarked on how cruel nature is, how "it's a jungle out there" etc etc I then went up to play my second shot, after a rather stunning drive (even if I say so myself), and made a complete arse of it...sclaffing it into the adjacent rough. I had obviously been deeply affected by this savage display.
Thankfully I played better after that.
The moral of the story is, obviously, if you inadvertently find yourself being being pecked agressively and eaten alive by a large Crow, then choose a Golf Course as the appropriate venue. This may lead to you getting rescued by nature's common aversion to approaching golfers, and thus scaring your attacker away, and you may live to fight another day.
Myself and Andy lost a closely fought contest to Ralph and Mike.
Charlene fell off her seat in the bar, and I bought an extremely dodgy fish supper on my way home. It was that kind of day....
I ate some of it, then gave the rest to some watching Crows.

No comments: