Wednesday, May 25, 2005

24/05/05 Just Trying To Help

Ted the cat is a hunting machine and regularly brings a variety of wildlife into the flat for some torture and killing fun, (ideally in front of me for some reason).
Last year he brought in yet another mouse and proceeded to play with it at some length round the flat. He does sometimes get a little too casual in the "let it run away and then catch it again" game, and loses his prey completely. I expect his approach is influenced by the fact that he has already had his tea, and that the "hunting" is principally recreational, rather than a food/survival thing.
So after mucking about for a while with this mouse, he lost it. Served him right.
A couple of hours later I saw a shocked looking mouse in the corner of the room. It seemed physically ok. Of course, the psychological trauma of being a cat's torture plaything for an extended period would undoubtedly take it's toll in later life.
At this point, I decided to interfere with Nature!
I cornered the mouse in the corner (it was quite easy really), and popped it into a jam jar. I then took it out into the garden and released it.
I had just turned to walk back into my flat, when from out of the sky swooped a magpie. It grabbed the mouse, and took off, taking the mouse away to it's doom.
I was shocked. I hadn't seen birds do anything like that before.
I shouted "I was only trying to h-e-l-p-p-p!" as the magpie flew away with the mouse I had saved.
Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire.
You see, you shouldn't really interfere with Nature...

No comments: