Sunday, July 31, 2005

30/07/05 Stop All The Clocks

I lost heavily at golf today on the hallowed turf of Muirfield to Colin Crabbie.
4 and 3. The King Is Dead, Long Live The King...
I feel like Superman after someone has slipped a cube of kryptonite in his back pocket, and then scarpered off.
Well it had to happen sometime. My improbable run of crushing golf victories couldn't go on forever. I blame going back to work.
Had a splendid social round at my flat on Friday night in honour of visiting dignitaries, "The Pereira Hinds".
Much laughter and banter and tasty food and wine.
All the greats were there. Nerdy physics lecturer Martin, Pete the painter, Dave the top Edinburgh restauranteur, Ann and Julia, Roz and David (aka Dr Schadenfreude). A quality line up.
Dr Shadenfreude did query the mention of "triangular sandwiches" in our Fringe programme blurb.
I think it's appropriate because ,to me, triangular sandwches are a representation of a "special occasion".
There's just something inherently more posh and sophisticated about sandwiches cut in this way, (don't ask me why though). So, you see, we've cunningly juxtapositioned our show with this "special occasion" feel. Ingenious.
Anyway, his dissection of the show has begun. Yikes.
I can only hope that he doesn't spot any "no star" reviews for "Park's Circus" in the press over the next few weeks.
If he does, I'll be expecting to see a plane overhead with a trailing banner saying,
"Hey Jim, You're S-H-I-T !!...I told you so..!" with a big smiley face next to it
I'm only bantering here...we all get a bit "schadenfreude-ish" from time to time. However, he does definitely find tales of misfortune and failure infinitely more entertaining than a dreary tale of success, recognition and critical acclaim, (not that this is likely to happen!)
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this. Private Frazer was always my favourite character in "Dad's Army".
The "Pereira Hinds" are now on their way to the tiny village of Crovie. I was granted a goodbye kiss from their lovely daughters Harper and Alice.
I interpreted this as a sign that they enjoyed their stay at "Park HQ" and did not find me too annoying and idiotic.
Great stuff!

No comments: