Tuesday, July 05, 2005

04/07/06 The G8 Escape

Unable to resist my base voyeuristic instincts, I headed along to Shandwick Place to witness the "Cavalcade Of Full Enjoyment".
This had been widely tipped as the most likely initial G8 flashpoint as the organisers had stubbornly resisted invitations from the police to discuss what they were actually going to do.
There were helicopters overhead, mounted police, hundreds of cops, and hundreds of media types...cameras and microphones everywhere.
About 40 drummers, dressed in pink, then marched up Shandwick Place, surrounded by the press and police, playing a spectacularly awful version of "Samba Reggae", (says Jim donning his smart samba anorak).
There was nothing much going on, so I got bored and went home again.
I had a really good gig at "The Stand" later on. Felt very loose and relaxed. My G8 opening gag bombed, but I got a big laugh when I explained "that joke was delivered as part of the "Make Comedy History" campaign". Ho Ho. The rest of the set went well.
Paul Sneddon (aka "Vladimir McTavish") made me snort with laughter earlier on at the bar. He showed my a photo he'd taken of the Anti-Capitalist demonstrators in Princes St. There was a big group of them looking fairly intimidating with their faces masked, carrying banners and taking aggressive poses.
However clearly visible in the midst of this melee was the iconic "Golf Sale" banner. Priceless.

No comments: