Monday, July 04, 2005

02/07/05 Make Poverty History

I took part in the march and played with the Samba band. And very enjoyable it was too.
I get bored shitless with the bad mouthing of all these events by know-it-all arseholes. As far as I'm concerned, ar least 300 000 people (probably more, even though the official figure was 225 000) decided to show a bit of solidarity for an idea to help eradicate the global blight of poverty, and went for a walk round Edinburgh.
Yes, a lot of Africa's problems are self-inflicted and any debt removal has to be tied to conditions to prevent corrupt leaders diverting funds. Yes, a lot of the key components of this measure are already agreed.
So what was the point of demonstrating?
Well, it was just an affirmation that a lot of people felt a need to demonstrate their support for such measures, and push for more similar action on the bigger global scheme of things.
There was no big Rock Concert involved, so please spare us the tired old arguments about people just wanting to go to a party and feel pious about it all.
People of all ages and backgrounds had travelled from all over the UK just to take part in this demo. There was no hidden agenda. So don't criticise them sitting on your arse in your favourite armchair watching Live8 on the telly.
I had some funny photos taking of me hobnobbing with some cops in full riot gear.
I will publish them on the Blog, but unfortunately Lorna (whose camera it was) and Mark have rather selfishly gone up to Granton-On-Spey on holiday for 2 weeks, so I'll have to wait for them to get back first.
News that Venus Williams had won Wimbledon capped a splendid 2 weeks of sports betting for me, and I turned in a nice profit of £600.
This is probably an inappropriate Blog entry to include such gambling tittle tattle, but such is life.
I should add that I immediately bought a large round in the Southsider Bar when news of Venus' triumph was announced.
Saw a bit of Live8 on the telly. Enjoyed Madonna, Pink Floyd & Paul McCartney.

No comments: