Wednesday, July 06, 2005

05/07/05 So You Think You're Funny? Well, I don't know really...

I had a phone call from a lady at the BBC requesting that I enter the BBC New Talent Comedy Competition. Apparently, I'd been recommended by the "So You Think You're Funny" competition organisers.
I was going to enter the BBC thing anyway, but was having difficulties transferring a digital recording of my live set onto a CD, (has to be part of your entry).
My immediate thought was that it was quite flattering to be singled out and actually asked to enter. However, is this reaction on a par with expressing delight at receiving notification that you are to be congratulated on winning a "Readers Digest" prize draw?
I don't know how many other people were asked.
I also initially assumed this meant I was likely to have made it into the final stages of the SYTYF competition, (held during this years' Fringe)
This surprised me as it was not one of my best nights in the Glasgow heat. Not by a long way. Some audiences love weird, leftfield stuff. That one didn't.
Of course, they may be trying to soothe my disappointment in advance at not qualifying by bolstering my fragile little ego with a BBC invitation.
Who knows?
We're supposed to hear about the SYTYF finalists this week.
You can see how this business screws you up psychologically can't you?
Anyway, I've decided to go to Spain at the end of the month and join the samba faithful who are playing at a festival in the town of Mataro (nr Barcelona).
Should be a hoot and a half.

No comments: