Friday, July 29, 2005

29/07/05 Back To Normal

Scotland seems to have now finished its hilarious impersonation of "Saudi Arabia" and has reverted to auditioning for the location of a possible "Bladerunner" sequel.
It's dreicht, wet and miserable. Anyway, I'm stuck working in a Factory Farming-esque windowless warehouse, so it's of little consequence to me.
Friday is casual dress day. It's interesting to see how people "express" themselves when given a casual option.
It's not always a pretty sight, (a bit rich coming from style guru and bastion of sartorial elegance, Jim Park, I hear you say in a rather unpleasant, sarcastic tone ).
All the contractors are sat together at round a work station, (I think that's the technical term for it).
We all discuss how things were done better at other places in the old days, and what we would do if we were in charge, and make impertinent remarks about software applications.
It really is a rollercoaster of excitement and intrigue, and I enjoy every minute of it.
Occasionally we take turns to go and get drinks from the free vending machine.
Your preferred drink is given in number form.
For example, I ask for a "32 Strong". This is a white tea with no sugar with the "Strong" setting selected. You have the option to select a "Normal" setting or a "Weak" setting instead.
This is great, and represents the kind of thing that we used to marvel at on the popular BBC programme "Tomorrows World".
When I first started working, a wifie came round with a tea trolley and dispensed china cups of stewed tea to the masses. She also gave a chocolate biscuit to members of staff above a certain grade.
I think this practice was discontinued after threats of the "chocolate biscuit" issue being used by some militants as a pretence for a Marxist style overthrow of the company hierarchy.
We can then even have lunch in the canteen!
I see people walk past whom I've known over the years working on different contracts here. Some stop for a chat, whilst others pretend that they don't know you no more.
I don't really mind. I'll generally chat to any old fucker and am legendary for suffering fools gladly. I just can't do "rude" with any conviction.
I'm quite good at making stinging remarks about people when they are not present, but, in my experience, that's generally a much easier discipline to master.
It's great this work thing.
Never a dull moment!

No comments: