Wednesday, June 29, 2005

28/06/05 I Feel Like Funny Tonight


Me getting ready to go onstage last night. Posted by Hello

I was a bit apprehensive about my gig at The Stand last night ; mainly because my previous 3 outings had been pretty ropey and as a result, my comedy confidence had badly dipped.
It was a fairly quiet night. About 20 or so in the audience. I suspect this was mainly due to it being another gloriously sunny June evening in Edinburgh, and the idea of spending it in a dark, sweaty, underground bunker had only a limited appeal.
Unbeknownst to me at the time, a deputation of representatives from my 5s football game had come along to witness the spectacle of my onstage antics.
I couldn't see them with the lights shining in my face, but I recognised the trademark cackles of messrs Dave Reilly and Jamie Frain, and all was well in the world. They've probably been to see me more than anyone else I know, and 2 nicer stalkers you couldn't possibly hope to meet.
They are primarily musicians, and both currently have products available which you can obtain at spectacularly competitive prices via Dave's website (www.crispycat.co.uk).
The gig went a lot better than the last 3, and I felt a lot more relaxed again on stage. The Stand has always been a good venue for me, and it feels like a home match when I amble on stage there.
There are still shades of Metal Mickey in my delivery. I never used to have this problem. I think it stems from being so familiar with the material that you can fall into the trap of just reciting it rather than bringing it to life.
Maybe I should revive my amateur dramatics career?
I've had a few emails asking me about my betting regime, with one or two cheekily accusing me of disclosing only my winning bets!
Anyway, if anyone is interested, for the football season 2004/05 (I am mainly a football gambler), my net profits were £4370.75.
I had a 2 week holiday, and started again for my summer betting season. I divide the gambling between football season and summer random bets.
So far I've won £60 on Germany winning the Euro 2005 Ladies Football championship, £60 on Greg Rusedski's defeat, £75 on Tim Henman's defeat and £210 on Lyndsay Davenport beating Kim Clysters.
I lost £30 on Mexico losing to Argentina in the Confederation Cup, and lost £50 on Lyndsay Davenport beating Kuznetsov (or whatever her name was yesterday)
So at the moment I'm £320 up...hurrah!
Coming back from The Stand last night though (after 3 premium lagers), I ended up making a slightly reckless bet. I put £200 on Saskia to be the 5th housemate evicted from the Big Brother House on Friday, (I'll win £64 + my stake if correct).
So you can all have a jolly good laugh at my expense if it turns out to be Maxwell...

No comments: