Sunday, June 19, 2005

17/06/05 Circus Crew Perform in Perth

Patrick, myself and Tony did spots at the Amused Moose show in Whispers nightclub in Perth. This was the first time we'd all seen each other do our schtick.
With consummate timing I had a bad night. On the evidence of this showing I'm definitely the weakest link. I thought Patrick and Tony were great. I'd seen Tony a few times before, but he was doing some new material, and gave a really funny, assured performance. I loved Patrick's stuff. Very gentle, wacky streams of consciousness, packed full of gags.
I didn't enjoy my spot at all.
I was first on after the interval. You generally expect the compere to do 5-10 minutes at this point, before introducing the first act of the second half. I think the compere did about 25-30.
I find the "hanging about interminably waiting to go on experience" has a bad effect on the way I perform. When I'm psyched up and ready to go, but then have to wait an uncertain amount of time, I get a bit tense and lose energy. It just gets mentally tiring waiting and maintaining the adrenaline for your intro. Not that I'm making excuses or anything. I fluffed a couple of lines early on that usually get big laughs, then started going too fast. A robotic performance ensued.
There's always positives to take from these situations. It certainly provided a good kick up the arse, and I realise that I've got a lot of work to do before the Fringe.
I'm really pleased to be involved with such a strong line-up for the show though. And the knowledge that I'll have to raise my game considerably is a positive. There's no danger of me being complacent.

No comments: