Tuesday, June 07, 2005

06/06/05 Double Diamond

works wonders!
Well, no, frankly it doesn't. It is a market leader in "Disgusting Beers Of Our Time".
I used the double title as I had 2 comedy gigs last night. One at The Stand and one at Reg Anderson's new comedy night at the Q Bar on Leith Walk.
I had another great gig at The Stand. I seem to have stepped up a level recently. I'm not sure why exactly, but the past couple of gig responses have been way,way above anything that has gone on before. I think I've worked out who I am on stage a bit more. I used to be a ranter, now I'm playing it more as a befuddled space cadet. The latter is definitely working much better.
As is often the case with the first night of fledgling comedy evenings, the Q Bar was fairly sparsely populated. There was an audience of 10. Interestingly they were all tourists in Edinburgh. They were also all female. They were also all attractive as well. (oooohhh misssusss!)
I really enjoyed doing a set to them. They laughed at all the right bits. It was tricky in the sense that a pre-requisite in getting some of my jokes is a knowledge of the TV series "You've Been Framed" and "Tales of the Unexpected".
No-one in the audience had heard of either of them.
It was a good exercise in improvisation, as I had to depart from the routine and explain, with examples, the format of these programmes before doing the "joke".
I don't want to come over all Bridget Jones, but....I have now gone 7 days without smoking a fag and thought I should take the opportunity to congratulate myself on the internet for my courage, my strength and my indefatigability.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not still doing the Tales of The Unexpected joke are you?