Friday, June 24, 2005

22/06/05 Time for a flutter

I haven't been making any bets since the football season ended, however my gambling instincts have been re-engaged this week by the Women's Euro Football Championship and Wimbledon.
I got the week off to a flying start by pocketing £60 on the German Women's team winning the Euro Championship. They looked unstoppable from the start of the competition.
I've now managed to capitalise on the exits of Greg Rusedski and "Tiger" Tim Henman to the tune of £130 profit.
(no losing bets to report...just in case you think there is some delusional exercise going on here)
In bygone eras I would have been sent to the Bloody Tower for treason.
I'm always ambivalent about Wimbledon. Occasionally you get a great match that makes compelling viewing. However, these never ending camera pans round the spectators, with their silly little Union Jack hats, and the annoying "Come on Tim!" shouts, (there's always a little competition about who can get the last "Come on Tim!" in, before the umpire tells them "quiet please!".
And when Sue Barker cheerily explains the total weights and volume of strawberries and cream needed to service the whole championship, I really have to restrain myself from the overriding urge to put my foot through the telelvision screen.
It all stinks of privilege and repressed behaviour. It's such a difference when there's loads of rain delays, and they have to end up opening on a Sunday, and the real fans get in to the "show courts".
Are there any other sports where you get to sit down, have a drink and a banana, every 5 minutes. It's crazy. I think individual games used to last much longer in the old days and they maybe needed a wee rest.
In the men's big serve game, they've often hardly broken sweat and it time for a seat and a Robinson's barley water.
Not exactly shades of a Tri-Athlon going on here, is there?

No comments: