Monday, June 27, 2005

26/06/05 More Dead Cow Sandwiches In The Sunshine

My presence was required at Park HQ in South Queensferry to attend yet another barbecue. Another opportunity to laze about in the sun and graze on burgers and beers.
Much as I enjoy this kind of thing, there comes a point where you crave a shitty, rainy day and an opportunity to do some more constructive chores without feeling that you are mssing the only decent weather we'll have all summer.
Peculiarly, this laying about in the sun eating and drinking makes me feel completely knackered by the evening.
I was reduced to lying on the couch mumbling insults at the current highly unloveable inhabitants of the Big Brother house.
I'm referring of course to the notorious Channel 4 TV show, rather than my big brother Gavin's house in Manchester, (just in case there is any confusion there...)
The weekend started with a drinks evening with old University colleagues of mine, Billy and Dave.
Billy told me a few anecdotes of a working holiday, he, Dave and a few others, had gone on to Holland in the 80s.
There was some funny stories, and some of them I must have heard well under 100 times already, so they were still relatively fresh.
(I can now feel a caustic comment winging it's way towards my Blog)
This weekend had a lot of danger points, but I am happy to pronounce that I have successfully gone a month without smoking one of the sticks of the cancer variety.
Unfortunately, I'm also following the "Robert De Niro diet", ie the one he went on to play the later scenes in "Raging Bull" when Jake La Motta resembled a slightly overweight hippo!
It's salad and fruit juice all this week...

No comments: