Friday, June 10, 2005

09/06/05 Cockburn Comedy

Ah well, the comedy mojo took an inevitable dip last night. The promoters of "Cockburn Comedy" had seen me at The Stand on Monday and asked me to do a spot at their Thursday club in the Arcade Bar.
I produced a rather tentative, stumbling performance. Got good laughs. But I didn't really enjoy it and felt slightly nervous for no particular reason.
It's strange, I feel more relaxed doing my act in front of 200 people at The Stand than a dozen people sitting around a bar. It feels like you are performing in someone's living room. I'm a bit awkward with small audiences like that as you feel you have to engage them with banter. I'm usually ok at this, but last night wasn't really up to it.
When there is a big audience, you can detach yourselves from them. I think I prefer that, but a good all-round stand-up would have the ability to adjust his act to suit the environment. Must try harder.
I'd gone for a stroll up Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat before the gig, and pathetically was feeling a tad weary.
The other comedians were much better at playing the room than me, rapping with the audience and using assorted props in the bar.
I took it as a learning experience.
Dave Reilly and Dave Bann made appearances, although Mr Bann missed my show. I was quite happy about that as he has never seen my act yet. I'd rather he saw me on a better night.

No comments: