Tuesday, January 23, 2007

23/01/2007 Shang-A-Lang





Tam Paton had a spot of bother in court the other day....
and you can read about it here.....
Tam of course is a legendary figure in Edinburgh and was the manager of the Bay City Rollers.
My attention was only drawn to this article by the hilariously awful photo of the aforementioned Mr Paton.
It really is a cracker isn't it?
It's like he's half way through a transformation scene in a Werewolf film.
I mean to say...he was never a looker...he would never have had Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt nervously looking over their shoulders...but even by his standards..this is a shocker!
I loved his "moment of madness" excuse in court...
The last time I heard that line was from the Welsh politician Ron somebody who had a "moment of madness" on Hampstead Heath one night.

Btw I recommend big time "Harry Hill's TV Burp" on Saturday on ITV around teatime.
TV programmes are usually a pile of common denominator, mainstream shite at this time...but Harry's show is gloriously silly and had me snorting with laughter throughout.
I've also been loving watching the new Seinfeld DVD of series 4 and 5.
It is without a doubt the smartest, funniest sitcom ever made.
I am always amazed that a lot of people I've talked to have never watched it ; mainly due to it being consigned to assorted graveyard slots in the schedule.
It's a shame...it's magnificent, and makes "Fawlty Towers" look like "Two Pints of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps".
I've been chuckling in quiet moments at work over an anecdote Ed recounted to me in't pub last week.
He described how he was out on a bit of a bender and stumbled into a bar on the South side of Edinburgh...very pissed...with his friends.
Their arrival coincided with the imminent commencement of a "Yard Of Ale" challenge race in which 2 teams were lined up, ready to each drink a whole YOA, and see which team could finish first.
A team was a man short, and all of a sudden Ed found himself co-opted into one of the teams.
His senses were too dulled to put up any resistance.
At his turn he began confidently, and each gulp, was serendaded in time by a "wo! wo! wo! wo!" shout and stamping of feet by everyone in the pub.
He then paused...the pub went quiet...and he began to projectile vomit around the pub indiscriminately.
After recovering, he joked with the barstaff, and pretended to break the Yard of ale glass in two over his knee.
However, his co-ordination hadn't fully recovered, and he did indeed snap the yard of ale glass in two...much to the disappointment of the bar staff.
I've got a picture in my head of Ed's apologetic inebriated expression which has kept me giggling all week.

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Brilliant story re Ed, Jim

Agreed wholeheartedly re TV Burp and Seinfeld