Thursday, February 01, 2007

31/01/2006 The Mouse That Roared!



I was a considerable distance above the moon with the first night of my "Electric Mouse" comedy club venture.
There was standing room only at the Holyrood tavern...!
Everyone got a good response and the evening was delightfully MC'd by the effortlessly hilarious Susan Calman.
And as well as that she stopped me taking a cigarette from funnyman Paul Pirie before the show by referring to my extensively documented efforts on this here Blog concerning my epic and continuing war against nicotine addiction.
It was a worrying incident though, and I will have to be careful...
It's not that I was really badly stressed out.
It's just one of these occasions where the nicotine urge persuades you that it'll be alright to have just one, in the circumstances.
I was surprised how well my set went down as to be honest the performance aspect was very, very creaky. I forgot large chunks of what I was going to do, tripped over a few lines and my timing was all over the place...
But hey, the customer is always right..so I'll take the laughs thank you very much...
I was like a football team winning a match, whilst not playing particularly well...and then Chick Young would say "that's the trademark of a great team", and I'd say to him "can you not talk in cliches for one minute in your life you twat", and so on.
My excuse was that it's the first gig for a few weeks, and I've been working like a dog the past few days, and had to spend all my free time setting things up for the gig... with little time to left to prepare for actually doing the joke stuff.
With the room being so full, it was stiflingly hot in the room.
We will have to try to remedy that for the next time...
It's generally been a good comedy venue for me...in fact, it's where I had my best ever gig...

The headliner Paul Sinha had a damned fine set as well...

I had a few pints of Stella in the full knowledge that it would give me a shocker of a hangover...and it duly did...who would have thought that?

Idiot....

No comments: