Friday, February 09, 2007

08/02/2007 Where are all the boyos?



I had a great lunch today at "Ponchorello's"...!
I had some tasty croissants to begin with...then some more tasty croissants...then a tasty croissant for dessert...it was all very tasty!
Usually at this time of year Edinburgh is teeming with Welsh people...
I get the impression that there's not as many up this time for the biennial piss-up extraordinaire...
In the heyday of this fixture in the 70s and 80s, you would struggle to get a room anywhere in Edinburgh over the weekend...
In fact thousands of supporters would begin appearing in Edinburgh on the Monday before the match...
The real tell-tale signs of diluting of the pigrimage were the "Vacancies" notices in all the little hotels in my street...
Where did it all go wrong?
I get the impression that there is a higher proportion of older generation supporters up than in years gone by...
Maybe the kids just don't dig doing that Edinburgh thing and are more concerned with downloading Arctic Monkeys records from thw World Wide Net and experimenting with recreational drugs.
Personally, I blame Charlotte Church...
That sort of nonsense wouldn't have gone on when Barry John and JPR Williams ruled the world...
The Sauna at Murrayfield seems to be doing a roaring trade...
(I was just walking past it on the way to the off-license, ok?)
I just hope the 25 pints hasn't derailed the dragon's roar with regard to this activity...
I suspect that there's a lot of drawing veils over reality and stuff when the visits are discussed afterwards in the hostelry.
I like them...they are a convivial bunch and are generally a good laugh, and up for some banter...
However, my grandpa hated all things Welsh, for reasons we never fully understood.
The most popular theory was that it stemmed from some wartime event involving Welsh soldiers...
He denied this prejudice...but if you'd seen his face whenever a Welsh Male Voice Choir appeared on the telly...the evidence was unassailable...



I got a promo flier from the Queen's Hall for an upcoming show by Fairport Convention.
The photo looks like a publicity shot for the "Still Game" sitcom...

Some people from work are coming to see me at The Stand on Sunday...
Hopefully they'll enjoy it...however, the lessons of history are foreboding...

The whole department at work came to see me in the Fringe show "Park's Circus".
They picked a really good night...the venue was packed..we all felt the show did well...
The next day at work no-one in the office said anything about the show...
This went on for 2 months...until the end of my contract...
Not a dickbird...
I assumed the silence implied they hated it...I'll never really know...

Mind you, ten years ago on a different contract, I was volunteered to organise a department night out to a Fringe show...
I chose "Bernard Chumley's Grand Tour" starring Matt Lucas and David Walliams.
Myself and one other girl from the office found it hilarious...
The other 20 sat stony faced, and I never heard the bleedin' end of their moaning about my "awful" show selection...
I wonder how they're getting on these days...
I thought they had potential...but hey, what do i know...?

2 comments:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Your cheek knows no bounds, fatty

jimbo said...

"cheek"?

it's only possible to be cheeky to teachers and grown-ups...!

what we have here is affectionate lampoonery of CBQ food journalism...!! :-)