Tuesday, January 02, 2007

02/01/2007 Random thoughts

I just got back from a yomp up Arthur's Seat and around Holyrood Park.
It's like Piccadilly Circus up there. I've never seen so many people clambering up the hills there.
There were a few people jogging around the park who I suspect were not in the habit of jogging.
They looked like they were just about ready to collapse with heart attacks...
I reckon they are making the classic "resolution" mistake of doing too much too soon in a desperate, doomed attempt to get fit/lose weight etc etc
Well, I suppose it's better than paying hundreds of pounds to join a gym then never go.
I saw the Wizard of Oz at the cinema the other night.
It brought back fond memories of my last cinema viewing of this film, when as a child, I was severly traumatised by these rather evil looking winged monkeys.
I also remember being irritated as a child at Dorothy going right back to the very, very beginning of the yellow brick road, when she easily could have saved a bit of time by missing out the initial winding section and instead head off from the point where the road opens out a bit and disappears onto the horizon.
I also wondered what type of dope the film producers were smoking when they thought it was a good idea to let the lion sing that dreadful song just before they met the Wizard for the first time. ("King of the Forest" or something like that)
I noticed that his earlier little intro song was a good bit shorter than the Tin Man and Scarecrow equivalents...perhaps he insisted on an extra song to even things up a bit...
Anyway...what a disaster...I can't remember the melody even though I've heard it loads of times...
It's good seeing it at the cinema again...There's lot of stuff going on in the background that you don't notice on the wee TV screen.
(still, no sign of the hanging munchkin though)
I thought Miss Gulch was looking quite foxy...
Strange how your perceptions change...
When the show "This Life" was first out, I couldn't believe that a lovely female like Millie could have an affair with an old sleazebag like O'Donnell.
When the show was recently repeated, I thought O'Donnell seemed like a distinguished, good looking gent, and represented a fine catch for Millie.
What could have changed in my appraisal?
Surely it's not just because I am 10 years older?
I'm not that shallow....
I drove out to South Queensferry on Sunday night, then drove back an hour later and was shocked to see two large trees collapsed over the road, blown down by the stormy weather.
We'd just missed them...
Now that would have been a bad start to 2007...getting squished on the A90...!

No comments: