Sunday, December 31, 2006

31/12/2006 Ding Dong



Weather forecast concern for Edinburgh Hogmanay Party




It's a bit wild weather-wise in Edinburgh today...
I think I'd rather stick cocktail sticks in my eyes than attend the Edinburgh Hogmanay Street Party tonight, (I suspect that the Council will not wish to use that line as a publicity slogan for the 2007 event)...
I feel sorry for the tourists, but it's not going to be a night to stand about in the open air...
I'm not convinced it's a smart idea to let off big muddafukka fireworks in 70mph winds, although on a positive thought, I may get a better view of the fireworks than usual if they are blown off course towards Haymarket...
Festive highlights?
Well I successfully cooked Xmas dinner for the family, (only slightly marred by me carbonised chipolatos)
I followed Nigella's idea of bathing the turkey overnight in a spicy solution designed to tenderise and moisten the bird.
It was a nice change for me to actually pay attention to her recipes rather than just stare at her breasts...(joke).
There was a preponderance of raised eyebrows and sarcasm as I disclosed my turkey policy, so it was gratifying that in the end it was hailed a culinary triumph.
My meal highlight was my sister uncorking a bottle of Californian white she wanted us to try.
I didn't like it very much and said...
"hmmm...it's a litle bitter, I'm not too keen on it"
My brother tried some...
"YEUCH!!!!!! That's DISGUSTING!!!!"
Such a diplomat....
(at this point I did literally fall off my seat laughing)
I fell asleep watching "The Vicar of Dibley"...woke up during "Little Britain", but fell asleep before the end...
That was the sum total of my Xmas telly viewing...
It's odd remembering how goddamn excited I used to get in the anticipation of checking out the Xmas TV schedules.
The video of Saddam being led onto the gallows has to be one the most surreal things I've ever seen on televison.
His nonchalance is very striking...
He looks like he could be nicking down to the local shop to get a packet of fags.
Of course, he could be in complete denial, unable to accept what is actually going on ; even at the point of being on the verge of death.
Can you imagine watching Tony Blair in that situation?
(yeah...yeah...yeah...of course there are lots of you out there who would welcome the opportunity, I'm sure...)
New Year Resolutions?
...well, cigarettes are out (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah)
This isn't really a resolution, as I started this a few weeks ago...but I've stopped eating meat in takeaways and in restaurants...
Part of me wants to go veggie, but I like meat too much...
However, I only eat free range, organic meat as I want no part of intensive factory farming...
You can be fairly confident that the meat you get in restaurants and takeaways is ordered from the cheapest sources available.
Sometimes they even use that reconstituted stuff that comes in a big roll...disgusting!
Yes, amn't I radical? ha ha
I went to see "Perfume" last night.
Patrick Suskind's book is one of my all-time favourites.
The film didn't disappoint....
(see I didn't bore your arse off by coming up with the original line that the book was in fact much better than the film).

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Hapy New Year Jimbo!