Sunday, March 16, 2008

16/03/2008 Ho Hum



Well I had a couple of lapses before the snowboarding in jaunt in Canada, so I can't lay all the blame on the land of Mounties.
However, in the course of the holiday there was once again regular partaking of the evil cigarette by your correspondent.
I've been off them again for a week, so the saga continues.
I have also now permanently closed down my Betfair account.
I'd actually been doing extremely well of late and had been very disciplined with my betting strategy.
This all fell apart last weekend, as I made a string of colossal losses as the form book broke several windows in various sporting events, ie Scotland beat England at rugby (yes, I treacherously backed the Auld Enemy...I can't apologise enough), the FA Cup shocks and Aberdeen and Celtic drawing.
I'd effectively thrown away all my hard earned profits and was now sitting on a loss.
I'd fallen into the classic idiot gambler scenario of betting just because I fancied a bet rather than carefully selecting what represented a good value bet.
Then I did something even more stupid.
I decided to do the "double or quits" bet thing, and wagered an extremely large bet on England beating Ireland at rugby yesterday (I can't tell you how much, but just believe me it was big).
This would retrieve all my losses and leave me slightly in profit over the long term.
I decided though that regardless of what happened, I would quit gambling on Betfair for ever. Too stressful.
As Ireland raced to a 10 point lead after 5 minutes, my sphincter adopted the characteristics of a giga counter switched on in Chernobyl.
Thankfully Ireland didn't add to this score and England won in the end, although for long periods it was a close game, and it was thanks to some stupid mistakes from Ireland that the final scoreline was so convincing.
Anyway, I got away with it, and have now renounced the evils of gambling.
It's just very difficult to make a lot of headway in the long term.
I'm just going to stick to the stock market from now on.
Much less risky!
There was a new review section added to the Scottish Comedy Forum which made interesting reading.
It was then withdrawn because apparently some of the contributors complained that their permission had not been sought in terms of posting their reviews.
I found this a bit odd as the reviews seemed to be excerpts from people's blogs.
I mentioned in a post that this was akin to streakers complaining about people looking at their cocks.
I thought that part of the vainglorious idea of doing a blog was that you want as many people to read it as possible?
(then my post got binned. It's 1984 all over again! :-))
Was at a birthday bash at The Jam House last night.
We had a meal at 6.30pm and then just stayed on and listened to the bands and got drunk.
Due to the early start/late ending of the evening, I now have a colossal hangover.
I'd say about 80-90 % of the punters were female (some readers might find that statistic helpful)
I nicked along to The Stand to see Jo Caulfield heeadline (very funny) before rejoining the party action.
I remember (vaguely) being intrigued by the choice of covers the band played.
We had The Proclaimers/500 Miles ; All Right Now/Free ; Doobie Brothers/Listen To The Music ; Duran Duran/Hungry Like The Wolf amongst others.
A fairly eclectic selection I'd say.

No comments: