Monday, August 08, 2005

06/08/05 Day 2 of The Fringe Show

I awoke with a bit of a dread feeling thinking about another 16 shows to go. I didn't really enjoy the first night. What was good though was that Nicky gave a very detailed critique of my act and what areas he thought could be improved upon in terms of the delivery and storytelling aspects. It's really good to have an honest appraisal and I took a lot of good pointers from our discussion.
I had an early evening slot at the Laughing Horse gig in the "Canon's Gait" bar down the Royal Mile. I decided to try a new beginning and include a brief anecdote describing my grandfather's recurring blocked toilet.
This was a smart move as it got a great reaction. It makes life so much easier if you start with a big belly laugh. It stays in the set. Hurray!
The venue was packed out, probably more than 100 people. It was great to hear that "big crowd" laugh again. I felt much looser and relaxed and remembered how enjoyable it all is when things are going well.
so from a fairly downbeat mood at the start of the day, my comedy mojo was on a high again. It's all so fickle this comedy thing.
Flyering is tough but we're getting people in on the basis of it. Patrick is undoubtedly the "Flyerers' Flyerer" and gets people interested in the show effortlessly with his blarney charm.
Tony and I have to work a little harder! Hopefully we can learn from the master throughout the duration of the show.
I enjoyed the 2nd night. Not a big crowd. 17. But they really enjoyed it and laughed heartily at all the acts.
This Fringe-ing is a great diet...I've lost 5lbs in the last week. A combination of nervous tension and walking miles around Edinburgh every day is doing the business. "The Comedy Diet". That could really take off?

No comments: