Thursday, August 04, 2005

02/08/05 Tour de l'Edinbourg ("King of the Pissheads")

Cheryl was hosting a "Chilli Evening" in honour of James from Australia who was on a short visit to Scotland. He did the IT contractor malarkey as well.
The food was grand and there was a veritable tsunami of wine. Russell brought along a 5 litre monster bottle that he and Colin had bought at a charity auction.
I "hilariously" joked that Russell looked liked a "tiny wine waiter" as he cradled the gigantic vessel.
After a prolonged session of chirpy banter, I cycled back home.
I know this because, I remember cycling to Cheryl's flat, and my bike was definitely back at mine the next morning. However, I can't actually remember the journey cycling back at all. My memory has blanked this episode out.
This is very strange. I'd had a few wines and was fairly squiffy, but I wasn't too bad really. I'm sure I would have had the presence of mind to take detours through the back streets, but I can't be sure.
The next day I also found out that I'd placed a bet on a football match on Betfair.com when I got back. I can't remember doing that either!
I backed Traponzor to beat Famagusta (which they did...and I won £86).
So, I must have been fairly sober-ish to do that?
Anyway, I've now won my last 18 bets and have a made over 3 grand in the last 2 months dancing with the devil of online betting.
It obviously can't last, but it seems like easy money, (and it's tax free of course!).
I don't feel any great compulsion to bet every day. It's just generally when I spot a good opportunity, (or have drunk a lot of red wine...I'll have to get a child safety lock put on the PC).
The rules are stick to your limits, and there is a compulsory 24 hour cooling off period after a losing bet, to avoid the trap of chasing losses by making idiotic punts.
But kids, don't listen to me. I'll likely be out on the street soon, having had to sell my flat and all my possessions to meet my crippling gambling debts.
It could make a good subject for my solo 2006 Fringe show though?

No comments: