Monday, August 08, 2005

04/08/05 Not Long To Go Now

I went to see Richard Herring's show "Someone Likes Yoghurt" at The Pleasance. It was great stuff. Just a pity that it was a very unresponsive audience. It's nicer to be in a packed venue where the whole crowd rocks with laughter.
Nonetheless, I love his stuff. His great talent is to start from a fairly improbable piece of source material and then add layer upon layer of comic takes on it. The biggest laughs are had when he just keeps this process going way beyond the audience's expectations of the material's lifespan . Some may think that he goes on too long on single sections of the show, but I love all that.
I met up with Patrick after the show as he'd just arrived from London. We then went for a swift pint in the Royal Oak.
My upstairs neighbour and his wife came into the bar as they'd been dining in a nearby restaurant. He reads a lot of autobiographies and quoted me a few extracts from some of them, including slippery ex-newspaper editor Piers Morgan. We disagreed on a few fundamentals of what type of comedy is funny and then went on our way.
Later on I caught the BBC Stand Up show. Very strong line up. Compered by Andrew Maxwell. I'd never seen him before, but it was plain to see he is a somewhat sickeningly talented young man. I also enjoyed Lucy Porter, Simon Munnery and Andrew Lawrence.
Lucy's take on a "Bukakke" video almost made me fall off my seat laughing...

No comments: