Tuesday, March 29, 2005

28/03/05 Jim In Two Finger Whistling Sensation

For the first time in my life I can successfully execute a two fingers in the mouth type whistle (is there a more succinct technical term for this method? ).
Until today, I'd only been able to perform the standard pursed lips whistle technique. Not particularly impressive. In fact I don't think I've ever met anyone who couldn't achieve this basic standard in whistling ability.
However, thanks to a bit of coaching from my friend Paul on Saturday, it all came together yesterday.
It's all too little too late really though. I always wanted to have this ability during the era of my life when I was a regular consumer of punk rock concerts. I always thought it was a lot cooler to let fly with earpiercing whistles at the end of concerts, to encourage a band back for an encore, rather than the standard clapping and cheering thing.
So now I can. It's comforting to know that if I think in future that James Last & His Orchestra have played exceptionally well, I can show my appreciation with a deafening whistle. I can't wait!
I can now tick "two finger whistling technique" off on my life chart.
My next challenge is to play tenor saxaphone to a professional jazz standard.
I'll keep you posted.