Friday, March 04, 2005

04/03/05 Hypocrisy Is The New Rock'n'Roll!

In the past, I've been guilty of sneering at practitioners of "Blogging".
I viewed them as desperate, obsessive anoraks sadly trying to attract attention to themselves by documenting all their innermost thoughts, to an absurd level of detail, targetting a worldwide internet audience.
Well, there's a new "desperate, obsessive anorak" on the block, kids!
I've decided I want to keep a blog, mainly as a means of disciplining myself to writing regularly, and hope that'll it'll help me come up with new ideas for material etc
I usually do freelance Computer work, (of the boring variety...as far from cutting edge, creative excitement as is possible), but the market seems to have imploded.
This hasn't happened at the best of times as I have just had to pay £21000 to have a building repair done.
I just paid this last week. This was in the days when £21000 was considered a lot of money.
My despair is lessened by anticipating the excitement of seeing the brand new chimney stacks when they are completed. I can't wait. It should make everything seem worthwhile.
I went for a 2 mile run this morning and managed to complete it without stopping or collapsing.
Impressive (to me anyway).
I noticed that whenever I have to overtake a pedestrian, I subconsciously start running faster as I go past them.
Although the fact that I notice myself doing this obviously implies that it is a conscious act rather than a subconscious act, but I ain't gonna get philosophical on ya ass any more than is strictly necessary.
Am I trying to kid them that I'm some kind of conditioned athlete training for the Olympics, rather than a wheezing alcoholic struggling to achieve a basic level of fitness?
Just heard the happy news that my old pal Mitch and his partner Jo have had a baby son today.
That makes 2 sons now, with Jem being "number one son" as Charles Chan Esquire used to say.
Mitch runs Edinburgh Film Studios, www.edinburghfilmstudios.co.uk, and provides a great location for any kind of filming project. Well, there's your plug, Mitch.
I just got offered a gig in Drumnadrochit next Friday (11/4). This could be an opportunity to
combine comedy with a bit of snowboarding. Hopefully the snow will still be there next week.
Apparently, conditions are fantastic oop North at the moment.
Just watched a tape of the "Panorama" show "Scotland's Secret Shame", featuring the the wacky world of Religious Bigotry and Sectarianism in Scotland, and how it is all inextricably linked to Rangers and Celtic.
It makes uncomfortable viewing ; particularly as the programme was shown UK-wide.
Not the greatest piece of PR for Scottish tourism, I'd say.
At least there seems to be a genuine political will to tackle this nonsense head-on these days.
On a more serious note, I found this traditional poem (anon) on an old school jotter and thought I'd share it with you ;

"The Cuckoo is a very strange bird,
It sits upon the grass,
With it's wings neatly folded,
And it's beak up it's arse."

"In this strange position,
It utters twit twit,
For it's very difficult to say cuckoo,
With a beakful of shit."