Monday, March 28, 2005

27/03/05 Easter Sunday

Last night I was dining with some good friends who originated from Bath.
Towards the end of the meal we all listened to a "Best of the Wurzels" CD.
Some of the more mature guests had slight hearing issues, and consequently the Wurzels were played at a decibel level more appropriate to a Motorhead gig.
Nonetheless, I found it all very enjoyable.
As I said yesterday, as opening lines of songs go, "I drove my tractor through your haystack last night!" is one of my all-time favourites.
Wurzels afficionados will of course recognise this from the Wurzels smash No. 1 hit
"I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester", itself a reworking of the 1970s Melanie hit "Brand New Key".
On the way home I inadvisedly let slip to the taxi driver that I was an apprentice dabbler in stand-up comedy and was hassled to "tell a joke" for all the journey home.
I was too tired to trot out the standard "I don't do jokes, I just do observations" line. It was a long journey. I eventually told him a joke about Willie the shark owing Steve the Crab £6, and how he bumped into Jimmy the squid (who wasn't feeling too well).
But you don't want to hear the rest of it. You're way too sophisticated for corny old jokes like that.