Tuesday, March 15, 2005

13/03/05 Scottish Sporting Excellence

I watched Scotland get demolished by Wales at rugby on Sunday.
Why,oh why, oh why are we so crap at sports these days?
Whilst the Welsh were pacey and incisive all over the park, the Scottish team looked like they had spent the last few minutes before kick-off eating a large "Chinese banquet for fifteen" , (with extra helpings of banana fritters), plus a couple of "yards of ale" each to wash it all down.
Why can't we run fast? We look leaden-footed and bereft of imagination.
Luckily I won £50 on www.betfair.com by predicting Scotland would lose by more than 12.5 points. Like taking candy from a baby.
I do feel like a treacherous scumbag though in making profit from my nation's ineptitude.
And I do have previous form here....
The reign of Berti Vogts as Scotland football team manager has provided me with a handy income.
You see on the Betfair site, you match up bets made by other punters.
(generally better odds than the household name bookies)
There are always enough blindly optimistic patriots around who invest a few quid on the Scottish team which you can match up to, and then laugh all the way to the bank.
Well, "laugh" is probably the wrong word....I'm a big sports fan, and I want to see Scotland
do well...ultimately...but I still have to make a living somehow....
Will it be a different story under the management of Walter Smith?
I'm not too sure...I remember a lot of bad European nights in the Champions League with Rangers where Walter didn't exactly cover himself in glory in terms of tactical nous.
Anyway, that's enough about sport....
Never one to watch soaps, I've started watched "Eastenders".
I read in the papers that it was "ailing", and was attracted to watch it by that similar urge which we experience when we drive past a car crash scene.
The death of Dirty Den was certainly one of my 2005 comic highlights so far, with the dodgy ensemble acting on display making my local drama group look like the Royal Shakespeare Company. It can't have long to go before the axe falls.
Previously I have enjoyed the death rattles of "El Dorado" and "Crossroads".
It'll be interesting to see how the writers finish off "Eastenders" if it gets the chop
Perhaps a "dirty bomb" in the Queen Vic?
Or maybe a previously undetected Supervolcanic Eruption underneath the fruit and veg stall?
A nation holds its breath....