Thursday, November 30, 2006

30/11/2006 Why me?





I headed into Central Library on George IV Bridge this morning.
It's usually a nice quiet place where I can spend a couple of hours staring at a blank page, breaking the monotony by occasionally glancing up when an attractive female student enters the room.
There were about 30 tables in the room, with two chairs at each table.
I'd say there were about 10 tables being used when I arrived.
I'd been staring at my blank page for about 20 minutes when I became aware of a man standing beside my desk.
He was a pretty big bloke, and about mid-20s...
"Excuse me sir" he said
"Yes" I said
"Could you take your coat off that chair so I can sit there?" (I had placed my coat over the second chair of my table)
"Well, no...why don't you pick another table?" (there were about 20 wholly unoccupied tables in the room)
"I want to sit here"
"You're not sitting here"
At this point a library assistant came across to see what all the fuss was about.
I explained that there were a host of tables to choose from, and she agreed with me that it was unnecessary for me to move my coat.
He then demanded to see her supervisor, and strode across to the other side of the room.
He continued shouting at me "Are you going to move your coat, sir?"
I shouted "no" across the room, and told him to shut up as there were people trying to work in the room.
(by this time everybody in the reference library had stopped what they were doing and were observing this surreal encounter)
He then started arguing with various supervisors, demanding that they answer his complaint "in writing".
He kept going on about "coat hangers" being distinct from "chairs" in their designated functions.
Eventually, a person who I imagined was the most senior librarian available, led him away for a "private consultation".
I thought this was the end of it, but 10 minutes later he appeared at my desk and again asked me to move my coat.
I again said no, and offered to put this in writing if he wished.
He was again led away arguing, and told me I was not funny.
He's not the first person to have told me this, so I am hardened to this particular criticism...and besides, it's just plain wrong...I am as funny as fuck! ok?
10 minutes later he appeared again, and proceeded to sit down at one of the (still many) unoccupied tables.He then opened a large reference book, glanced at a page, closed it, then put it back on the shelf and finally left the library.
I couldn't make up my mind about this guy.
Did he have genuine "issues"?
Was I being fimed for some new "Borat" influenced TV show, monitoring how I would deal with the library nutter?
Was he waiting outside the library with an axe?
Would I be the headline story on the Chortle home page?
The "why does the nutter always sit next to me?" routine is a hoary old cliche...but I really do seem to attract them like no-one else I know...
Ask my Samba band and they'll recount endless tales of our gigs in which a series of drunken elderly women spontaneously begin lewd dancing in front of me, and try to interfere with my drumsticks while I am playing.
But hey, in the midst of all this I think I came up with some funny new ideas, and if you want to hear them you should come along to The Stand in Edinburgh this Monday, December 4th at 8.30pm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim

You didn't see through my disguise then.

Mr Angry

Cheltenham

jimbo said...

aha...!
Doggone it, I KNEW there was something familiar about that nutter...!

Anonymous said...

From Wikipedia:

'Book pickup:

American slang for a homosexual meeting occuring in a relatively empty, quiet venue, such as a bookshop or library.

The target is seated at an available table, with their coat or jacket placed over the back of a second chair, inviting any local predators to make a discrete approach.

The phrase 'Will you move your coat?' is used by the predator to identify themselves and their motive, and the target is expected to respond in the positive unless he has reason to believe that the predator may be incubating an STI.

Refusal is taken as an insult, and occasionally a predator has publicly forced the issue to keep his status in the local community.

Libraries are aware of and tolerate the practice, providing any 'Donald Nonsense' is carried out off the premises.


See also-
Ring binder
Benny Hotboots
'crack one off' (eng. coll.)

jimbo said...

ah very clever...I see what you did there...!
(don't give up your day job)