Monday, November 27, 2006

27/11/2006 A Game Of Two Halves



I had a poor gig at Blackfriars in Glasgow on Saturday night...
It would be a little harsh to say I completely died on my arse, but it wasn't that far from it.
What annoyed me more than anything was the fact I had a gut instinct before I went onstage, that the material I'd selected wasn't really right for the night.
However, rather than do anything about it and change things on the spot, I rigidly stuck to my game plan.
I was locked in the tram rails and carried on regardless, right over the edge of the cliff.
I should listen to myself more...
On the plus side, I was knocked out by how good the compere Susan Calman was.
She's been doing comedy roughly the same amount of time as me, but has made a staggering rise to prominence.
Just great on stage, brilliant at interacting with the audience and had them eating out of her hand effortlessly. A true pro. You will be hearing a lot more of her, dats for sure.
The comedy phenomenum that is Janey Godley was headlining, and she was great as well.
I have to say I don't really like the new, renovated Blackfriars basement.
It used to be a great, dark, dingy comedy den...but is now a pristine, refurbished and very anonymous venue lacking in any character.
Mind you, I'm not making excuses, like....!
By the time I got back to Edinburgh, I was tired, soaked and pissed off...
The last train back from Glasgow on a Saturday night was full of drunken, shouty bozos, and it seemed a long, long journey to get back home.
On Sunday night I had a gig at The Stand in Edinburgh.
I chopped and changed a few things and ended up having one of the best gigs I've ever had there...
It's a funny old game...
It was just a short set, so I'm not getting the cigars out, but there's nothing better in Comedyworld than immediately following up a stinker of a gig with a really good one.
I felt at peace with the world again...!
And, the online gambling has hit a purple patch in the last week...my disastrous run is over (for the time being)...
Chelsea's equaliser yesterday set the seal on a profitable week...
I also saw Ian Cognito for the first time on Friday. Great confrontational and hilarious stuff.
As the evening began on Friday, the compere spotted me in the audience and announced to a packed Stand..."..and there's Jim Park and his failed comedy career..!!!" Ha Ha!
But anyway, there's no such thing as bad publicity!
Is there...?

No comments: