Wednesday, November 22, 2006

22/11/2006 Bye Bob!



I was sorry to hear of the death of Robert Altman. I loved his films. MASH, The Player, Short Cuts, Gosford Park...great stuff...and all very original with no sign of any Hollywood formulaic shite...
However, on watching various news reports, I again became a Grumpy Old Man shouting inanely at the box.
There seemed a ridicluous amount of attention paid to the fact that he never won an Oscar for "Best Director"...Who gives a toss? (he did eventually get the "Lifetime Achievement Oscar" instead).
I'm not interested in who wins a stupid fucking Oscar.
It's just a Hollywood PR product...who cares what "The Academy" thinks? Who are they?
It was one news report after another droning on about how "Altman was nominated 5 times but never won" bla bla bla
Just talk about his films and how great they were, ok?
To put it all in perspective, Alfred Hitchcock, Brian De Palma, Fritz Lang, Spike Lee, George Lucas, Ridley Scott, David Lynch, Martin Scorsese and Cecil B DeBloodyMille to name a few, have not won one solitary "Best Director" Oscar between them.
However, Oliver Stone has won this "coveted" award twice.
I rest my case...
I'd rather suck Archie McPherson's big toe for 2 hours than sit through an Oliver Stone film.
I was cheering on Celtic last night against Man Utd...age definitely is mellowing me...My Grandpa will be spinning in his grave...
I always enjoy seeing Fergie getting pissed off..compelling television...
The other interesting news of the day was the discovery that my business associate Mr David Bann has been placed at No. 18 in last weekend's "Scotland On Sunday 50 Most Eligible Men". He mentions that his "ideal date" would be Kate Winslett...! Hmmmm....
My jealously was offset by the realisation that at No. 17 was Richard "I don't believe it" Wilson...
Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity, and I daresay a host of women will now descend upon Bann's restaurant desperate to get a glimpse of the sex god himself...!!! :-)

No comments: