Tuesday, November 21, 2006

21/11/2006 Shocking!



I had a really good gig at The Stand last night...although it started badly...!
I made a 9/11 gag about my predeliction to take out a newspaper dated 12th September 2001 to read on buses in an effort to cause alarm amongst the other passengers.
This usually gets a decent laugh...however last night it was greeted with total silence only broken by a female American voice saying "That is NOT funny!".
Thankfully, I recovered from this situation and the rest of the set was generally well received...
I never really set out to offend people and don't take any great pleasure from doing so.
I like to choose potentially explosive subjects to talk about, but I try to take such an idiotic angle on them that it would be difficult for anyone to be really genuinely offended.
The guy on before me was a dead ringer for Uncle Fester of The Munsters, and from what I gather, his material was extremely dark and uncomfortable (although the comedian community still thought he was very funny)...so I think the audience were maybe still slightly freaked out when I came on to lighten the mood with my jolly 9/11 material.
In the past few weeks I've had many conversations with aquaintances about that "Pelican eating a pigeon" incident...
It really has been a big talking point...
And in spite of Nuclear tests in North Korea, continuing unrest in Iraq, US congressional mid-term elections etc etc people are still talking about it.
It leads me to speculate that if this Pelican incident happened on the same day as 9/11, then TV newsdesks would be in a real quandary as to what story to lead with...
"A Pelican??? ate a goddamn pigeon??? we have footage?? hmmmm"
The real shocking element of this Pelican incident is the fact that the pigeon was completely comfortable to be in the same general area, and seemed completely relaxed before being summarily swallowed by the bigger bird...
Just goes to show, it's maybe not a good idea to hang out with a different species with a mouth big enough to fully accomodate you, if you know what I mean...
If only Dick Dastardly had enlisted the services of a Pelican, the pigeon may well have been stopped (it would have been particularly gratifying to witness this just as he was blowing his stupid little trumpet)....
Anyway, I'm sure the Pelican would have been a more effective cohort than the idiotic "Klunk" with his complete reliance on ultimately ineffective,over-elaborate inventions...
Just a thought...

No comments: