Sunday, August 27, 2006

27/08/06 ...and RELAX.....!



The "My Old Man's a Dustman/Mr Sheen" gag storms it yet again with the KTM audience.


Yes, well it's over, "Kill The Monster" has joined "Park's Circus" in the resting place for obsolete Fringe shows in the sky...!
Yesterday's final gig was a bit flat with a half-full room.
I was feeling tired and jaded and was happy when it was finished.
However, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week were real barnstorming shows and I'd describe them, without fear of contradiction, as the most enjoyable comedy gigs I've ever been involved in.
Big audiences, great guest acts and I just felt very relaxed and was able to enjoy the show more than I've done at any other point in the run.
One of the guest acts for these 3 shows was "The Wright Stuff" a puppet theatre company based in Huddersfield.
Check their site here.
They'd come up especially to do the "Kill The Monster" shows, and it was fantastic to have them on board.
I'd say they were the funniest act I saw on the whole Fringe.
I'd have to give a big thank you to Mr Padraig Hyland, late of "Park's Circus", who did a number of guest spots, often at VERY short notice, but always with a top notch performance. A true pro and white knight of the comedy circuit.
I had a great time being part of the Free Fringe, and I would anticipate that it will grow exponentially next year.
It has been a great joy for me this year not to have issued one single flyer to anyone, and still managed to get decent audience numbers.
That was the most soul destroying feature of doing "Park's Circus".
We had to flyer for 2 hours every day to try and get an audience in to recoup some of the massive outlay we'd spent on renting the venue.
We were brain dead by the end of the run.
This year's venue was great and I reckon it'd make a good all-year round venue as well.
I somehow seemed to get off on the wrong foot with the lady who ran the place when I asked if I could store my drumkit in a cellar in the building.
I'm not sure how it happened, but from that point on, everything I said and everything I did seemed to hugely annoy her.
I was a bit baffled, as I always tend to think of myself as one of the most easy going, mild mannered geezers on the bleedin' planet... :-)
must try harder...!!
I had a bit of a chuckle going past a lap dancing club on a bus last night.
There were 4 ladies standing in a row smoking cigarettes.
They were all characterised by wearing trench coats which were all way too big for them.
I guessed that the coats belonged to the burly in-house bouncers, and that they were being worn by the ladies to protect their modesty as they were likely wearing skimpy spangly bikinis underneath.
A clever comedian might be able to view this situation and get some decent material out of it.
I need another holiday now...!
will be heading off to Spain at some point...after I sort out all my badly overdue year-end company accounts. Oh let joy be unconfined...!

No comments: