Tuesday, October 25, 2005

23/10/05 Return Of The Cheesemeister



I'm pleased to report the thrilling news that Cheesy McLoughlin, (his memorable nickname is explained here), has returned to Scotland to work at Abbey National and can currently be seen hanging around bars in the Southside of Glasgow.
He came up to Edinburgh during the Fringe and went to see "Park's Circus".
He said it was "better than I thought it was going to be...".
From the mouth of the Cheesemeister, that is the equivalent of a 5 star review in "The Scotsman".
I felt like I'd been awarded a lifetime achievement award for services to comedy. It was all very emotional.
The last time he had seen me before this was on a wet Monday night in Scarborough in October 2004. It was the 5th gig I'd ever done.
I expected to be performing in a small club with not too big an audience. However, I was shocked to discover it was in a big hall with approx 300 people in attendance.
I became exceedingly nervous about the whole thing and had something of a disaster as I hurtled through my set at a ridiculous, unintelligible pace to a bemused Yorkshire audience.
Seeing I was clearly rattled, Cheesy spent the next 2 hours going over my performance in forensic detail ; gleefully highlighting the particularly dreadful and cringeworthy moments of my "performance".
He is a true friend. He obviously thought that in administering a "kicking me senseless while I am down already" critique, it would ultimately prove useful to me in terms of character building, and give me some future resilience to incidents of this nature.
I would strongly refute any suggestion that he took sadistic pleasure in all this. It would be wrong to think that.
I remain vaguely confident that it was done with my best interests at heart.
I actually empathised strongly with Cheesy at the weekend as I shared his crushing disappointment at the goal awarded to West Ham against Middlesboro, when the ball had clearly not crossed the line.
This was a cruel injustice, and any suggestion that I was rolling on the floor laughing and thumping my fist off the carpet, would be well wide of the mark.

No comments: