Tuesday, April 10, 2007

10/04/2007 The Laughs Clog Up A Bit



I had a fairly ropey gig last night at The Stand...
It was overdue...my current run of success had to end at some point...
On entering ye Stand Comedy Club I was surprised to find that a group of 62 Dutch people had made a block booking.
This made for a slightly different atmosphere to the usual Monday night.
They were a jolly bunch though and were well up for a laugh.
In spite of this, I immediately worried that my stuff might be a bit too weird to easily translate for punters with English as a second language..and my fears were confirmed.
I mean it was ok and all that...but last Tuesday in Glasgow was probably my best ever gig and this seemed all a bit flat in comparison.
I didn't help matters by fluffing a few lines and forgetting big chunks of my routine...(unforgiveable when I was reading much of it OFF A FUCKING CLIPBOARD!)
I then had an uncomfortable chat with some friends who'd come to see me and were obviously unimpressed by my display (and quite rightly so).
It's never really worth analysing it all with yer mates.
If I harped on about how great a reaction I'd been getting in the previous gigs, I'd have come across like a desperately needy arsehole.
In fairness though, I am a desperately needy arsehole, but I should seek ways to disguise this as much as possible as it's not the most attractive trait in a person.
You need the lows to appreciate the highs anyway...
So in a way last night was a triumph in terms of demonstrating the truth of tired old comedic cliches.
Tonight I am running an open mic evening at Black Bo's...
But look I got some nice comments from my fellow comedians .

No comments: