Friday, October 20, 2006

20/10/06 The Citrus Club



Exhibit A.





Living in Haymarket is quite good really. You're pretty much slap bang in the centre of town, but the area itself is generally quiet, and free from shouty drunks on their way home late at night...(unless it's me).
Only problem is that the shops in my general locale are fairly crap, and over-priced.
Things came to a head yesterday as I jogged down the road to buy a single lemon.
This cost me 40p....yes...40p...!! that's 8 shillings in old money...that's more than the cost of a dog license (if they still existed)...40p for ONE lemon...!!!
That's it...I've decided a boycott is now in force...40p for a lemon!!!...and a pretty old, dried-up one as well...40p!!! 40p!!!! I ask you!!
It's all a bit confusing.
I like to support small, local shops in order to give them a chance against the Evil Empire of Supermarkets...However, they lose my sympathy when they do things like charging 40p FOR A SINGLE LEMON. (did I mention that already?)
Last night I was kindly offered a free ticket to accompany Grahame, the self-styled "Charlie Cairoli" of the Edinburgh Samba School, to go and see "Sparklehorse" at the Liquid Rooms.
(It would have been a better link if they had been performing at "The Citrus Club" in Grindlay Street, but sometimes things just don't work out as perfectly as that).
With my finger now approximately 77 000 light years away from "the pulse", it was no surprise to anyone that I'd never heard of them before.
I did enjoy the gig, although I found the music somewhat derivative.
It reminded me in turns of both early Alice Cooper and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon".
It was a very polite, well-mannered audience for a "rock show" (if that is the correct term).
There wasn't much inter-song banter, and there was almost a polite silence while the band readied themselves to play the next piece.
Although one person in the audience shouted out "You're a Genius!" at one point.
(not to me, to the lead singer of the band)
Before the gig started, I succumbed to some weird allergic reaction.
My eyes were watering, I had snotters blinding me and I couldn't stop sneezing.
I reckoned it was somebody's fancy aftershave that was causing the problem.
Eau du CS Gas or something like that...
Grahame, the self-styled "Charlie Cairoli" of the Edinburgh Samba School, found it all very amusing...
I met Pete Beckley's sister and friend, although a combination of copious quantities of beer and flashing lights prevented me from initially recognising them.
I also met Alan Brodie, the self-styled "Ginger Gent" of 5-a-side football, and his partner.
He informed me that Rangers were beating the crack Italian side Livorno 3-1 "and it wasn't even half-time yet"...
Again, I experienced a mixture of emotions...particularly as I'd bet on Livorno to win...!
(I am having a spectacularly bad run at the moment in my punting, and may be buying some quality rope from B&Q soon if things don't improve)
After the gig, myself and Grahame, the self-styled "Charlie Cairoli" of the Edinburgh Samba School, had another couple of pints at The Jolly Judge, listening to a rather weak guitar/banjo singer/entertainer.
I then spilt a pint on my lap and had to walk home giving passers-by the impression that I had done the toilet in my trousers, so to speak...
But all in all, a tip top evening...

2 comments:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

"done the toilet in my trousers"

Good one, almost caused a drink spurted over computer incident.

Greta post Jimbo

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

...or even great post Jimbo...