Friday, June 30, 2006

30/06/06 The Business End of the World Cup!









I was listening to a Portuguese journalist on the radio today.
He was reading out World Cup related headlines from Portuguese newspapers in the run up to the match vs England.
One was ;
"Would you like a cup of tea? Be afraid!"
I think this is possibly the greatest newspaper headline ever. It's got a great surreal feel to it.

I couldn't make up my mind about quarter final bets.
I've ended up laying against Italy, ie if it's a draw or Ukraine are winning after 90 minutes, then I win.
That's my last bet in this World Cup.
I just want the remaining matches to be entertaining and full of thrills and spills. I don't really mind who wins and therefore won't be making any bets on them.
It's rather annoying that it is pissing with rain in Edinburgh whilst the rest of the UK is bathed in sunshine.
I was laughing at Harry Pearson in the Guardian yesterday.
He was advocating that English use a traditional UK Primary school 1-9-1 formation,
(preferably with a "running goalie")
The 9 man midfiled would swarm around the ball not giving the opposition a chance, whilst the "Poacher" would chat to the opposition goalie, and put him off by goofing around.
It's a genius idea and would play to the strengths of our domestic game.
It's amazing how fickle the world of football is though.
If England win on Saturday and make the semi-finals, Eriksson could claim that his tenure has been successful as he has taken England further in the World Cup than they have been since 1990.
If they lose, he will be mercilessly savaged and ripped apart like a cornered fox.
A lot of people are talking about how Scolari always outmanoeuvres Eriksson, citing the meeting between England and Portugal in Euro 2004.
People seem to fail to remember that the match ended in a 2-2 draw (with England having a late winner controversially disallowed), with Portugal winning the penalty shoot-out.
When the match is referred to by the press, you'd be mistaken for presuming England lost 5-0.
Anyway, this is now a day later.
Italy beat Ukraine comfortably.
I finish week 3 £190 in the red.
The overall World Cup position is £598.07 in profit.
There's always a temptation to put everything on one team to win the World Cup, but I won't because I'm not (that) stupid.
That's the instinct that bookies love, ie the irrational desire to give all your winnings staright back.
I really enjoyed Germany v Argentina.
That was a proper World Cup football match.
Not too many goalmouth incidents, but a completely enthralling spectacle.
And once again, the undisputed "best team" of the World Cup is going home.
Poor substitutions by the Argentine coach cost them the match.
Again, I'd say that's a great result for England.
I couldn't have seen them getting past Argentina, but an England v Germany game could go either way.
On a non-World Cup note, Mitch's young son Jem broke up the tedium of viewing last week's England v Ecuador tie, by rushing into the living room and loudly exclaiming, "I did a wee and a poo at the same time!!!!", and then insisting his mum comes along to witness the evidence of this splendid achievement.
I look forward to reminding Jem of this event in 15 years time when he's sitting playing compressed digivariant music in his bedroom with his trendy mates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim

I've seen you do that afetr 8 pints of stella!