Wednesday, June 28, 2006

26/06/06 PC Reunion



Revealed! The secrets of the cardboard robot...!







Padraig Hyland ,of last year's smash hit Fringe show "Park's Circus", was headlining at The Stand in Edinburgh on Monday.
He had a good night and a few late night drinks followed, followed by a very sore head for yours truly the next morning.
Also there was Pauline who stayed in the same flat as me in Bellevue Road in the 80s.
This was an interesting coincidence as 2 nights prior to this I'd bumped into Katy who'd stayed in the same flat before we moved in.
"Quite remarkable!" as David Coleman might say before he started badly slurring his speech.
Pauline is a good friend with the powers-that-be at The Stand, so it's inevitable that they will soon be furnished with interesting anecdotes such as her flatmates' penchant at that time to take turns wearing a cardboard box with a face painted on it, and cavort in front of the late night traffic.
Mind you, this might help my comedy career, and raise my "wacky" quotient.
I was gutted at Italy's last second penalty winner against Australia.
First of all it cost me money, as I'd gone for a draw...
Secondly, it wasn't even a bleeding penalty and the referee was artfully conned by these masters of chicanery!
Overall though Italy did show flashes of brilliance, and they were hampered by a dubious sending off ; so they probably just about deserved to get through.
The bad news is that for Week 3 of the World Cup I am down £130.
I'm studying the quarter final draw.
I'm finding it tricky finding value betting amongst the ties though.
I've a feeling England will beat Portugal (you can get evens on this), and interestingly, Germany are favourites to beat Argentina.
It's a brave bet to go against Germany after watching them steamroller Sweden, however Argentina will test their defence in a way that has not happened in any of their previous matches. Hmmm....
I went to see Scotland play Pakistan at cricket yesterday.
It's a very genteel and civilised way to spend a few hours basking in the sunshine...
The gentle knock of leather on willow etc
Someone was walking around dressed up as a pint of beer.
You had to say to him "I'm due a Deuchars!" and he would give you a free beer token.
That's not something you see every day.
The PA announcer asked if "Dorothy Martin could phone home as her daughter has news of her impending grandchild"
I made a joke about the baby being still "not out", and one or two people in the packed grandstand chuckled quietly to themselves... get in...!!!! :-)

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

"...her flatmates' penchant at that time to take turns wearing a cardboard box with a face painted on it, and cavort in front of the late night traffic"

Once again you have made me laugh out loud