Friday, June 23, 2006

22/06/06 Back of the Net!



Mexico once again cocked a snook at my faith in them.
I had a bet on them not to lose to Portugal which they did!
They even missed a penalty just to rub it in.
And when I say miss...I mean row Z...!
I then started watched Ivory Coast v Serbia.
Ivory Coast were losing 2-1 but were dominating the match.
I had a wager on them turning the match round in the second half at 5/1 odds.
This they did (3-2) and as a result I'm now in profit for week 2 to the tune of £144.20.
This takes my profit after 2 weeks to a grand total of £788.07.
I heard a footballer being interviewed on Radio 5 say ;
"Well the Germans like to take shots from outside the box, do you know what I mean?"
I DID know exactly what he meant.
I felt quite smug that I had intelligently comprehended his footballing related observation.
He then went on to make a plethora of further observations, again checking our understanding of the meaning of each statement.
I knew what he meant EVERY time.
I'm the cleverest of the clever obviously.
I felt like telling him "You don't need to keep asking me if you know what I mean..!
I know! I understand! I'm a gifted intellectual".
It is a bit of a waste of energy saying "Do you know what I mean?" at the end of every sentence.
I don't know if peple's vocal pronouncements contribute to raising carbon dioxide levels, but even if they don't, it causes needless irritation.
Let's save the planet...!
There is an Edinburgh equivalent of this.
It's an "eh?" at the end of a sentence.
"So I went to the pub and they weren't there yet, eh?"
"I've painted your front door, eh?"
I'm always confused by this...
I should say "Why are you asking me? I wasn't in the pub, and since you were the one who actually painted the door, why would you be asking me whether you did it or not. It doesn't make sense."
I've decided to bet against England winning over 90 minutes against Ecuador.
England are 3/1 ON to win in 90 minutes.
These odds are ridiculous in light on England's performance against Sweden.
They may well win, but there's very little downside in backing Ecuador at these odds.

No comments: