Sunday, April 30, 2006

29/06/06 Thanks Ronnie!



Ronnie O'Sullivan looks on dejectedly as he faces elimination from the 2006 World Snooker Championship


Well, my worst fears were realised as Ronnie had a psychotic meltdown and lost to squeaky voiced Scot Graham Dott.
My bet lay in tatters.
Ronnie was playing so impressively in the morning session that I'm confident that I could have taken a few frames off him myself, (this is based on my ability at the height of my powers in the Stirling University Snooker Hall, where a break of up to 18 was not unknown).
The final is now between potential serial killer Peter Ebdon and Dott.
I'll go for Dott to win.
It's time I played the patriotic card.
I'm not putting a bet on though.
Although snooker has lost its tobacco sponsors, it is now involved in the even murkier world of online poker and Internet betting.
These activities are prominently advertised on the players waistcoats.
I have to say it all looks a little tacky and desperate.
It would be fair to say that these activities have the potential to be far more ruinous to your health than smoking (particularly if you put bets on snooker players who decide to abandon their formal game plan and launch into an extended tribute to the late great Charlie Cairoli)
It's likely to be only a matter of time before the actual green baize itself is used to advertise, in a similar way to the big Royal Bank of Scotland monstrosity logos in the middle of rugby pitches.
My hits to this blog have recently rocketed on account of me placing a link from the entry on Wikipedia for my former punk colleagues "The Exploited".
I just hope that new viewers can reconcile the concepts of anarchy and chaos with a detailed examination of the current state of UK Snooker.
I think these subjects have had and will continue to have, a strong relative connection.
Thanks to running up mountains all week and playing football twice, I'm 6 pounds lighter than I was 2 weeks ago. I'm the man...
Off to try and blag a ticket to see Hearts v Celtic.
£50 on Hearts to win. 2/1 against.
Can the jambos make up for Ronnie or is it a black week for Jim's punting?

No comments: