Sunday, April 16, 2006

16/04/06 Easter Thoughts



So what has all this got to do with me anyway?






It's got a little warmer.
I have become rather irritated with the cold weather of late. Enough is enough.
I've had a couple of gigs at The Stand recently. They went quite well I thought...
Well better than my last few gigs before Xmas in which, to quote Bernard Manning, I was "about as funny as a fire in an orphanage".
I was being experimental you see...
Anyway, hopefully I didn't do too much damage to my comedy "career".
I also currently have a letter in the current edition of The List in which I drone on about issues relating to buying traditional tenement property in Edinburgh.
I come across as a pompous git...(not that there's anything wrong with that).
I've just spent a day out at Mitch and Jo's country retreat.
Very pleasant indeed, although far too idyllic really for my taste.
I mean, come on...a nice house in the country, lovely family, able to work at home...?
There's just not enough angst there for my liking...
I was relieved to be given a single finger salute by a grumpy driver on my way back into Edinburgh for hooting at him as he idiotically pulled out in front of me.
Now, that's the real world...! Wonderfully reassuring...
I have also been having a chuckle at a news story involving the Chief Inspector of Tayside Police making a speech to a dinner of top Scottish Legal representatives.
He inadvisedly told a joke which involved some Al Quaeda men discussing the careers of their suicide bomber sons.
The punchline was "Kids just blow up so quickly these days...!".
Apparently, the joke was met with total silence...
It's not a bad joke actually, but it just demonstrates the perils of throwing in a bit of inappropriate humour into formal occasions.
I remember making a joke at a job interview for Stirling Council in which the interview was held in a building which was a reconverted prison.
I made a quip like "Ah, so this was the old prison? I knew I'd been here before!" to the interview panel. I didn't get a laugh, let alone a smile...and I didn't get the job either...! Mind you that was probably a good thing.