Friday, April 11, 2008

11/04/08 Sore Tow






I’m having a fairly action-packed week.
I’ve got five gigs on at The Stand this week, and they’ve been going pretty darned well.
I did the longer “main support” slot at the Sunday show in Glasgow and in spite of slightly bricking it in advance, had a really good gig and made the time with no problems.
I was in a fairly buoyant mood as I drove back to Edinburgh.
My mood darkened a couple of days later when I found out that my car had been towed away.
I’d accidentally parked on a “City Car Club” space on Sunday night.
It didn’t really look any different in the dark to a “Resident Permit Holder” space, but that is unlikely to save my £135 fee. Ouch!
My mood further darkened on Wednesday when I was awarded a £35 parking ticket on account of my road tax disc falling off my windscreen onto the floor.
God moves in a mysterious way.
What did I do to deserve this?
When I went to pick up my car at the pound I was theatrically polite and courteous.
I just thought I’d like to bemuse them slightly, as I imagine everyone else arrives in a fit of raging temper, which is understandable but ultimately pointless.
I reckon that the people who work there have probably developed a perverted sense of enjoyment at seeing the impotent rage of their customers as they are forced to painfully cough up the requisite £135!!!
I think most normal, sensitive people would find the incessant customer hostility which comes with the job as unbearable.
You could only sustain yourself in a job like this if at some point you began to find the “car owner going mental syndrome” intensely amusing.
At least I didn’t give them that satisfaction.
I am a true hero of the people.
I am almost at 12 ½ stone.
That is pretty impressive considering I’m not really on a diet, and just don’t eat bread and potatoes all that much anymore.
That’s the lightest I’ve been for years.
I think it’s helped that I’ve been under the cosh at work during the day and gadding about in comedy land at night a lot this week.
I don’t feel all that different, but when I walked around carrying the amount of weight I’ve lost, it seems a lot.

No comments: