Friday, August 17, 2007

17/08/07 More Fringe



I am definitely enjoying this Fringe miles more than the other two which I've been involved in performing.
The "Free Mouseketeers" show went really well after a shaky start, and on a personal level I feel I've improved a lot over the run. At last (I think) the delivery is doing the material justice.
Afternoon comedy audiences can be very tough to get going, and we've certainly had to work hard all week...
Top Aussie comic Greg Fleet came to see the show on Monday and then gave us a nice recommendation on Radio 4.
I also had a great gig at a "Pick Of The Fringe" evening at The Stand in Glasgow last Thursday...
The Comedy Mojo is high at the moment, but as I am all too painfully aware, this status can adjust dramatically at any moment.
I did do an ill-advised late night 5 minute spot after downing a couple of jugs of Margharita cocktails, but we won't say any more about that...
Some comedians thrive on alcohol.
I don't...I turn into a giggling version of Dads Army's Private Godfrey.
A few random Fringe thoughts?
I was strangely impressed to see Celtic manager Gordon Strachan at a Daniel Kitson gig.
I felt like going up to him and shaking his hand and saying "Well done!"
I had a good gig at Canon's Gait last night.
It doesn't seem as busy a venue as in previous years though. I guess the expansion of the "Free" concept has had something of a dilution effect on individual venues.
There was the statutory drunken yappy old lady in attendance.
I came out with what I thought was a quite funny off-the-cuff quip ;
"People at the Fringe generally have a drink between shows, but I get the impression you're seeing a show between drinks"
(ok, not brilliant, but it got a big laugh)
Before I went on I chatted to a comedian who was doing a show at the same venue as me.
He mentioned that his show was getting filmed on Monday.
"Good luck with that!" I said
"Fuck off! It's nothing to do with luck mate!" he said
"Well, when I say "Good Luck", I'm just hoping the show goes well and you get a good audience" I said
"Fuck off mate! There's no such fucking thing as a "bad audience". It's up to you as a performer to energise the room whoever is in there..." he said
"Some audiences are basically "Cunts Conventions" I opined.
"That's rubbish mate" he said
etc etc etc
Now, there is definitely an element of truth in what he is saying about never blaming the audience and always look at yourself first for criticism.
However, there is luck involved in the Fringe...
A great audience, a great performance (coinciding with the presence of a reviewer)..
You need a little good fortune to have all these things happen simultaneously doncha?
Anyway, I thanked him for the 15 minute lecture, made my excuses and left...

No comments: