Monday, August 13, 2007

13/08/07 And They're Off....



Well the show kicked off on Saturday...
The place was absolutely jammed, but it was ultimately a disappointing show.
The audience were very flat and we didn't really get them going.
I suppose ideally it would have been better not to start the run on a Saturday and have a quieter gig just to run through the show and get up to speed.
I'd only met the other comics in the show on the previous night,so it was largely an experimental format.
Anyway,we decided to change a few things around for Sunday's gig.
I was to do a short opening slot to gee the audience up and get the energy in the room going a bit more.
I loved doing that...probably because it's such a departure from my usual stage persona.
It was 5 minutes of shouty nonsense,culminating in ripping off Rick Molland's trademark Jekyll & Hyde "Mexican wave". (I'm sure he won't mind)
It definitely made a significant difference to the show,and we all had a miles better reaction than the Saturday.
Woo hoo!
I've been to see a few shows...
Richard Herring - excellent as usual
Daniel Kitson - excellent as usual (although I slightly regretted going to see him the day before my show started, as I felt incredibly inferior in comparison)
Rich Hall - hilarious,but heinously expensive
Phil Nicol - jawdroppingly fantastic
I've also seen possibly the worst sketch show I've ever seen,and I saw a comic Andrew Watts in a show called "Late Starters" reduce me to tears of laughter...
I've been going to see a few shows with Cheesy McLoughlin who is up visiting for a couple of days.
In terms of type of laughter,Cheesy is a "snorter".
He has the most infectious laugh of anyone I've ever known,and when he goes off on a snorting fit,he takes me with him and I'm often in great physical pain through laughing.
Any comic would kill to have someone like that in the audience.
He also sets off chains of other people laughing.
He's not indiscriminate though...;it has to be really funny to get him going...but once he's off...pow!!!
Anyway, so far it's been 2 full houses and I've only done about 10 minutes flyering
in total...
This is good.

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Great news Jim!! Will be along shortly...