Monday, July 24, 2006

23/07/06 Stayin' Alive....



I was sitting in my flat last night at 11.30pm when I heard someone repeatedly trying to get in to my flat through the door that connects with the ground floor lobby.
"Hmmm...that's strange!" I thought to myself.
"Do I go and investigate, risking a bread knife in the chest from an aggressive mentalist? Or do I immediately do nothing, but condemn myself to a period of prolonged conjecture wondering who it might have been?"
I decided to see who it was.
I nicked up the stairs, opened the door and saw an elderly american couple walking up the stairs.
"Were you trying to get in here?" I asked politely.
"Do you live there?"
"Yes, this is my flat..."
"Is your name PARK? " (This is what it says on the door)
"errr...Yes...I'm Jim Park"
"Ah, we thought that the door was an entrance to "The Park" outside, so we thought we'd have a quick look..."
"Ah"
"Is your first name Andy?"
"No, it's Jim.." (as I had just told them seconds before)
"hah! That's too bad. Andy Park is in the "Bee Gees"!!"
"Really?"

Andy Park in the "Bee Gees"?
That certainly was a new one to me.
I always thought that it was the Gibb brothers who made up the constituent parts of the aforementioned pop combo.
And there, the slightly strange encounter ended.
I assume they are the parents of some Americans who are renting the flat upstairs.
But perhaps they were burglars using the clever disguise of doo-lally American tourists to allay suspicion?

I could have pointed out to them, that while trying to get into someone's flat in Scotland is generally met with a sympathetic interpretation of the misunderstanding ; trying this routine in the States is likely to be met with a volley of automatic gunfire, and a sympathetic hearing from the County Judge for the householder at the Homicide hearing.
I was initially tempted to take my baseball bat to the door, but instead opted for a Ghandi-like approach to the problem.

I suppose I should be grateful that they didn't see the sign "PARK", and then decide to drive their car into my living room, thinking it was a free car parking area.
That could have been messy....

No comments: