Friday, July 14, 2006

14/07/06 Hot Hot Hot



"Are you talking to me...?"




I had a really good gig at The Stand in Glasgow this week.
It was especially pleasing because they had been a very tricky audience and it was initially difficult to get them going.
I've got another short set next Tuesday (18/7) at The Stand in Edinburgh in case anyone fancies coming along.
I must apologise in advance though for doing the hardy perennials!
I just want to have a good gig and hopefully get longer spots in the future.
I was watching the Big Cat special programme last night on BBC3.
They were studying the awkward relationship that lions have with hyenas.
Whenever the subject of Hyenas comes up, I've noticed that it is now common for the commentator to bemoan the bad press that these animals get, and then prompt you to marvel at their toughness and survival skills.
This is all fair enough, but they do seem to me to be the true "neds" of the animal kingdom.
It's very difficult to watch them catching prey.
They don't have the physical attributes needed to kill their prey outright before they eat it.
The lion grabs nother animals round the neck and asphyxiates them before eating.
However, the hyena's bite is designed purely to rip chunks of flesh off the bone.
The poor victim just has to sit there and get eaten alive.
Not pleasant. Either to watch or experience.
Also, if you are a lion and you've killed something, you don't get a spare minute to relax and have a nice meal.
You get pestered by more and more hyenas until they drive you way through force of numbers.
It's be like sitting down to have a fish supper at the table and having a group of neds running round the table persistently trying to pinch a chip off your plate, then eventually knocking the plate off the table and eating it all.
I would hate that.
I wouldn't marvel at their ingenuity and persistence.
I'd just want to wring their necks.
Ah but they are all god's creatures I suppose.
I had a dream in which my Fringe show started with someone dressed as a rabbit doing a starnge dance to the instrumental record "Popcorn" by the one-hit-wonders "Hot Butter".
I feel that this is a sign from the Comedy Gods and that I should now make this the start of my show or risk their wrath.
If you know anyone with a rabbit costume with reasonable co-ordination, then don't hesitate to contact me.

No comments: