Monday, May 04, 2009

Ding ding! All aboard...

If you have ever walked around all day with a pit bull terrier’s jaws locked onto your calf muscle, than you have an inkling of what it is like to have presented funnyman Gordon Alexander with a tempting opportunity to take the mickey out of you in a sustained attack.
Gordon’s attention had been captured by my “QI” warm-up spots posting.
He spent most of yesterday, casting doubt on the veracity of my tragic tale of missed opportunity and heartbreak.
We were forced together, as yesterday was the photoshoot for our upcoming show “The Silence of the Trams” ; now forever referred to as “TSOTT”.
I took the opportunity to dress up as a “tram conductor”, complete with a false moustache and a camp hat.
There are people who may think that the “QI” anecdote was a crude episode of self-promotion…a desperate, cloying attempt to take something positive from a day of disappointment by hoping that the disclosure, that I was within a million miles of being selected for a job of this nature, might inflate my comedy profile, and cause the conservative, small-minded Scottish promoters who consistently pass me over for gigs, to think again and re-evaluate my comedy status, (I’m joking…I’m joking…).
Nothing could be further from the truth.
It’s warts and all on this blog, and, of course, everyone knows that disasters make much better reading than success stories.
I have just experienced two dropping incidents in two days.
Last night I dropped a pint glass during Billy Kirkwood’s impressive set at The Stand.
The glass, thankfully, didn’t smash, but everyone turned and stared at me disapprovingly, which I found very unsettling.
Then today at work I dropped a carton of tea, causing mayhem. Losing my grip? (on reality?)
I didn’t get where I am today by dropping a pint of lager and a cup of tea, on consecutive days.
We got a little mention in the Evening News…
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/opinion/Liam-Rudden39s-Fringe-Firsts.5227716.jp
I particularly liked the “finest young comedians” bit.

3 comments:

Henrietta Boutros-Ghali said...

Dear Jim,

I write to inquire as to your availability for this year's Royal Variety Performance to held at the London Palladium on November 22nd. Compared by Steven Fry MBE, in additiion to a number of established comic acts such as Graham Norton, Tim Vine and Lee Mack we would also like to showcase the best young comic talent on the comedy circuit. Impressed by your assured performance at the Hackney Empire New Act of the Year competition earliy this year, we would be delighted to showcase your talents to a nationwide television audience. If you could advise of your availability in November for the RVP, I would be much obliged.

Kind regards

Henrietta Boutros-Ghali

Henrietta Boutros-Ghali said...

Sorry Jim, too late.

However, I gather you are a driver. We have an Antipodean open spot who has offered his services for the showcase. If you could wash his feet and and give him a lift down the A702/M6/M40, we've looking for a runner for Loose Women at Teddington Studios that week and got a couple of 10min open spots in Penzance and Dakar if you'd be interested.

Kind regards

Henrietta Boutros-Ghali

jimbo said...

thanks Henrietta!
I will ponder your kind offer and get back to you...
Could I also recommend TVs Gordon Alexander of "Propping Up Appearances" as a candidate for any other high-profile comedy engagements.
He does some marvellous stuff about Prince Charles which would work particularly well at the RVP.